March 12, 2012

He Wore The Shirt I Slept In




He Wore The Shirt I Slept In

I
My ex is behind me
Watching my neck, my ear, my hand to my cheek
I slump down in the black dress
On a chair that belongs in basements
Cold and hard 
My black suede booties slung out into the aisle
Covering the feet that inspired him
To paint the dead thing and stick it on my wall
Leg over leg or ankle stretched out
I am with witch girl
Who swears she sewed her soul into mine
But I can’t feel it
She laughs her puppet arms around me
I touch her face like a lover
And make fun of her blow-job lips
Not quite kissing them, but almost

II
I stand in line and turn to catch him
In the purple shirt
I used to sleep in
Hiding by the coffeemaker
Eyes like a showroom
Full of the things he once loved
And remembering the things he thought I could make him forget
I only glance in his direction then turn
To the two men who want to talk about
My outfit, my style and what they think about
Late at night
I turn again to see my ex hiding, but I can’t see his face
Just the shirt and the torso of my lost lover
He hasn’t been eating
That much is clear

5 comments:

  1. I like this poem. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I see him watching you...do you think he feels ashamed to to see you cuz he is not eating? Maybe you two should grab a snack together & share antibiotic rx's? But really...I adore your way of taking an ordinary run in and making it sound so much more..."romantic" in a sense! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you my dear. there is more romance in my heart than i can express in words.

      Delete
    2. I don't doubt that for a minute! Yet you do a damn fine job none the less! <3

      Delete